This 5 day programme is aimed at First Aiders, identified by their company’s risk and needs assessment, as requiring additional skills to enable them to provide an advanced level of First Aid action and treatment for a medical emergency, above that provided by the HSE First Aid at Work qualification.
This course provides the basic underpinning knowledge and treatment, using additional skills, to allow participants to undertake this role safely and with confidence. The course is assessed using Medical and Trauma scenarios focused on delegate’s industry areas. It uses casualty simulation techniques to enhance the learning experience.
As with other First Aid qualifications a yearly refresher is recommended to offset “skill-fade” in addition to the 3 yearly requalification course.
Benefits to you
On completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the duties of a ERT member in the workplace
- Risk assess the situation
- Understand the equipment of an enhanced First Aid response kit
- Perform additional life saving techniques
- Use additional treatment skills for the benefit of the casualty
- Pre Hospital Environment – Role of the Advanced First Aider
- The Pre Hospital Environment – Scene Safety & Paperwork
- Moving & Handling
- Patient Assessment
- Patient Assessment – The ABC of life
- Patient Assessment – Establishing the levels of response of a casualty.
- Patient Assessment – The Primary Survey of a casualty
- Patient Assessment – Secondary survey of a casualty
- Airway Management
- Respiration and Ventilation
- Respiration and Ventilation – To be able to use respiratory equipment safely
- Medical Gases
- Basic Life Support – Placing a casualty into the Recovery Position.
- Basic Life Support – Rescue breathing for a casualty
- Basic Life Support – Cardio-pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Basic Life Support-Actions if rescue breaths do not inflate the chest
- Circulation & Shock 1 & 2
- Medical Emergencies
- Medical Emergencies Environmental injuries
- Medical Emergencies – Poisons and other harmful workplace substances
- Trauma Emergencies – Burns & Scalds
- Trauma Emergencies – nervous system
- Trauma Emergencies – Skeletal and Muscular Injuries
- Trauma Assessment Scenarios
- Medical Assessment Scenarios
Who should attend?
Anyone who is to be a First Aid Emergency Response Team member, following a company’s risk assessment.